Friday 25 June 2010

Senses.

So, turns out my writer's block lasted about (*checks date of last blog entry*) oh, just over twenty days. Work has been busy, so I've been skipping my usual Wednesdays off with alarming regularity. My boss is going to get a shock when he realises I'm saving the time up for days in lieu. However had my first Wednesday off for 3 weeks this week, and finally finished my first script! It now even has a title - 'Senses'. Which came about due to the thread running through the script of see no evil (Elise, able to hear everything going on but see only the walls surrounding her), hear no evil (Jake, confined to a wheelchair watching the action unfold from his window). There's also a lot of very instinctive behaviour, with the way PC Jen Bayliss works out what happened - as well as observing everything around her and noting it down.

I finished my script using feedback from initial drafts. I read the first few scenes to my writing group, and though some of their feedback was incredibly helpful they criticised some of the shorthand I used, which was designed to be colloquial and mimic every day speech. This conflicting advice confused me a bit, however once I received my two reviews from the Feedback Exchange - in particular one who references a famous bit of Tony Jordon advice - I felt much more secure about my original choices. In fact I even made the language a little more casual, if anything. I imagine it's because writing dialogue is very different to prose, which most of my writing group focus on, and actually I feel as though I'm more suited to the script. It really lets my imagination run away with itself. I will publish the two bits of feedback, and my responses to them, in later posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment