Wednesday 16 March 2011

Targets: the next six months

What do I want to achieve in the next six months? I have a completed TV script (sent back with a nice Thanks-but-no-thanks letter from the BBC)which I would like to adapt into a stage play. I started this, but think I was sticking too strictly to the original. I discussed it in my writing class and can see it needs a big rewrite in sections, with amends to characters and order of events (eg, instead of Elise remaining off-stage throughout we need to see what's happening to her), so that's number one on the list.

There's also some great competitions I should be entering short stories into. But first I need to prune, adapt and edit a short story up to competition standard. My attention span is usually too short for that sort of thing!

1) The Manchester Fiction Prize:
First prize: £10,000*

Deadline for entries: 12th August 2011
Entry fee: £15
Judges: Heather Beck, John Burnside, Alison MacLeod and Nicholas Royle

Under the direction of Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy, the Manchester
Writing School at Manchester Metropolitan University is launching the
second Manchester Fiction Prize. The competition will award a cash prize
of £10,000* to the writer of the best short story submitted, and is open
internationally to both new and established writers aged 16 or over; there
is no upper age limit.

All entrants are asked to submit a story of up to 3,000 words in length.
The story can be on any subject, and written in any style, but must be
fiction and new work, not published or submitted for consideration
elsewhere during this competition.

The Manchester Fiction Prize celebrates the substantial literary
achievements of Manchester, building on the work of the Manchester Writing
School and enhancing the city's reputation as one of Europe's most
adventurous creative spaces. The prizes will be awarded at a gala ceremony
hosted as part of the 2011 Manchester Literature Festival.


2) The Asham Award:

I mentioned this last year but (no surprises) never got round to completing an entry. It was themed, which I found difficult to get excited about. Must keep an eye out for an update on the website for this year's competition details. It's only for female unpublished writers and gets very good PR.

3) And of course, the Bridport Prize. I cover the details of this in a previous blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment