Wednesday 22 September 2010

Geekery

So, here's the thing. I used to be cool. Not Shoreditch faux-cool, bordering on Nathan Barley, but I lived in East London, worked in advertising and subsisted on free drinks. I attended media parties with champagne on tap and those little mini versions of sausage and mash or teeny-tiny burgers, as seemed to be de rigueur. Rumour had it the industry had a three strikes rule on cocaine, necessary due to the huge number of people caught by their bosses hoovering it up in the workplace.
Now since I've had this change of heart on my career there's no room for a quick drink after work turning into a 3am night bus nap home. Instead of Time Out magazine my shelves are filled with screenwriting bibles: Story by Robert McKee, The Writers' Tale by Russell T Davies, The Screenwriter's Handbook 2010, Studying Plays, Scriptwriting for the Screen by Charlie Moritz...The list goes on, and I haven't even started on the podcasts that fill my ipod (recommend Danny Stack's Scriptwriting in the UK), or the scripts printed off from the BBC Writersroom site. I am doing the thing I think necessary to suceed - which is to immerse myself wholly and completely in this industry. I am currently living and breathing this, and no doubt it will slowly drive me insane. But at least it proves I'm serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment