Saturday 15 January 2011

Sex and the City 2

Yeah, yeah - I know I'm a bit behind on the times here, but last night I watched the SATC sequel. It was awful. Some of you might think that doesn't come as much of a surprise, but I enjoyed the TV shows. They were hardly Shakespeare, but they were funny, light-hearted and sometimes quite pertinent. They even made attempts to show that some opions aren't typical to a gender; Samantha is a strong advocat of no strings sex, Miranda is a strong and successful business woman. At the end of the series only two of the four had children, and three of the four were married. Thus demonstrating that there's no direct path to happiness, and a woman can be perfectly fulfilled without children. But...

...the second film is without doubt one of the most offensive, tedious, craftless things I've ever seen. Even without the borderline racism, misogyny and cultural ignorance the script is frankly just crap. From scene one there's more signposting than the M6 -
I can't believe Stanford and Anthony are getting married.
I know - I thought they hated each other.
Well, they did but not anymore!


Yawn. The storyline was so cliched it read like a GCSE drama project. It's a shame, because there was some geniunely touching, interesting stuff hidden in there. Sadly this was masked by the lazy script-writing and the lack of someone on the team willing to step up and say 'Hey, why don't we make that a bit more subtle...'

No comments:

Post a Comment