Tuesday 25 January 2011

Application saturation

That's right - the HR department at the BBC can rest easy for a while: I think I've done my fill of application forms. Over this weekend I aimed to fill in forms for all three jobs and my will has slowly whittled away to just one. The job that appeals to me the most is the Holby City trainee script editor. In fact, it's pretty much ideal. I haven't seen a trainee role come up on Holby before, and in this case they've asked for only minimal script report/ editing experience. However this is balanced out by the fact you have to have worked on one of their continuing dramas before in order to even fill out the application form - I've blagged it by using my work placement to fulfil that requirement.

The level of experience required for a trainee role is frustrating enough, but the main application question asks you to answer in reference to the job description. This wouldn't usually be an issue as it's a winning application formula: respond to each point on the job description giving an example of how you fulfil the criteria. However the job descriptions for BBC roles are about 3 and a half A4 pages long. There's so much information there it's hard to see the wood for the trees. I finally whittled the categories down to: creative ability, communication skills, admin and organisational skills and a deep love for the BBC and for the show. I sweep the board on all fronts, and am finally happy with my application form. However there's always the nagging and depressing knowldge at the back of my mind that it won't lead anywhere. The BBC are in the difficult position of making hundreds of redundancies and having to try and re-absorb those made redundant into a different part of the business. Made redundant from the research team? Here's a job as a trainee script editor! I understand they have to be fair to current employees, but a system like that only feels fair if you're one of the people benefitting from it. I love the BBC and want more than anything to work for them right now, but don't think I'll be filling in any more application forms for a while - it's just too depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment