Wednesday 6 April 2011

A Magical Story

Following on from the evil relay story I worked on for OZON magazine a few months back we've decided to keep the momentum going and keep relaying stories around. I was sent this opening to work from:

‘I made your favourite,’ Bella said. She walked into the dining room holding up a cake stand, on it something wobbled: a creamy white meringue shook on top of sunshine yellow base. It was thick, the colour of egg yolks, all held together by a pastry crust. It danced in its stand. ‘Lemon meringue. Just for you.’ She sat the cake down in front of George with a plonk. It gave a final jiggle.
‘Oh … magic,’ he said, thumping his hard, round stomach. ‘And what’s this treat for?’
‘Just felt like it,’ she said, leaning towards him, her decolletage wobbling like the cake. Her tea-dress had a smattering of buttercups over it, pulled sharply in with a belt at the waist.
She sat down opposite him. ‘Now I want to watch you have your first bite. I stirred in something extra special with the lemon curd.’
George picked up the knife and cut himself a slice. ‘And one for you?’
‘Oh no, I eat too much while I’m cooking.’ She put her hands on her belt. ‘Got to watch me figure.’
‘Too right, Bells, me too!’ he said and they both laughed.
Bella touched the side of her mouth, ensuring no lipstick was smudged.
George stabbed a large wedge with his fork. ‘This is a treat, you are good to me,’ he said, his eyes on the cake, his mouth watering as he opened it wide and shoveled the cake in. ‘Oh wonderful,’ he said, spraying as he spoke, ‘what did you say went into this? You are a little wonder!’
‘Oh, I just concocted something with me special potions,’ she said, and laughed with control while she watched closely as George’s expression began to change. It went from elated to confused to something quite peculiar. She leaned forward, eager to see if it was working. That little bit of something to create a little bit of change … she thought she even saw a little spark in the air, a little shift in the atmosphere. She held her breath.


And have just responded with the below:

As she held her breath, his puffed out from every orifice with a squeak. His face morphed, his eyes popped and bulged. ‘Ohhh’ he quivered ‘I feel ever so queer all of a sudden.’ Bella screwed her mouth into a pout of mock-concern. ‘You do look a little peaky.’ She lay her chubby hand across his forehead, feeling pulsating strong enough to clack her diamond rings together. ‘Yes,’ she murmured with delight, ‘you don’t feel at all well.’

As George’s groans got louder Bella’s smile got broader. He dropped from his seat and rolled on the floor in pain. ‘What was…in that..cake?’ he gasped from his prone position on all fours.
‘Just a special ingredient’ she replied.
‘You’ve poisoned me, you’ve poisoned me!’
‘It’s not poison. It’s pixie dust.’ Bella giggled.
‘What IS it?’ George barked.
‘It isn’t dog food either’ Bella was enjoying herself ‘though you’ll wish it was!’
‘Tell me…’ he whimpered.
‘And I haven’t cooked your son in a pie. Classical revenge was never for me.’ Bella said.
With infuriation George threw his head backwards and howled. With that Bella noted that his nose was growing longer and his hair much fuller than before. She reached out to scratch him behind his pointed ears. How he had wished for years that his balding head would once again be thatched. George growled. ‘Now now’ Bella chastised ‘don’t bite the hand that fed you.’
With alarm in his amber eyes George turned and in a gruff voice asked ‘am I – am I a werewolf?’
‘Don’t be silly’ Bella replied, with a tap on the nose, ‘werewolves don’t exist.’
Crouching down next to him she said ‘this is something much more special. This is magic.’
‘Magic?’ He yapped.
‘I thought it was time for a little lesson in fidelity.’ She reached for a tightly wrapped ball of kitchen foil lying on the counter, the surface reflected in the sun and caught George’s eye.
‘There Fido – fetch!’ shouted Bella at her new pet.


Watch this place for the next installments.

No comments:

Post a Comment