Wednesday 31 March 2010

Admin day

Today has been a surprisingly productive one – instead of writing I have spent my time researching and contacting TV production companies in the search of some scripts to read and reports to write. I need to familiarise myself with new scripts and start making relationships with TV production companies. Who knows, maybe one day this bloody recession will finish and they’ll have some money to spend on programmes again.

Tomorrow morning I have an appointment to speak with Gub Neal, ex head of channel 4 drama and of Granada drama, who contacted me swiftly in response to one of my emails. Good place to start.

I have also been sent my first not commissioned script to read off the back of joining the Feedback Exchange (see post from Monday 22nd March), which looks like a really exciting, meaty piece of writing, and can’t wait to get stuck into it over the weekend.

I am also feeling rather uninspired about my script, hence giving it a rest today. Maybe I should have a couple of things on the go at once, rather than hammering the hell out of this one. I might work on some prose which, as it’s the medium I’m used to, feels like a break. I’m going to revisit an old piece which I dip into from time to time. Here’s the first (as yet unedited) paragraph:

The police came late one night, but there were no scenes. There was an uncomfortable disparity in Jenna’s mind; the policeman’s soft, firm rap against the family’s front door, contrasted against the story he came to tell. For months afterwards Jenna couldn’t close her eyes without visualising against her will the invented last moments of her brother’s life. On some nights she was haunted by desperate screams and cries for help, on others there was simply a crash, flashing lights and a descent into darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment